Saturday, May 27, 2017

When I Was A Child

When I was a child -
They are words of recollection
Remembrance
Reminiscence
They point to what was
But is no longer
They are an invitation to reconsider the past
To look again
To recall
To reconnect with
Stories
People
Experiences
Hurts and
Happiness-es
Scrapes and
Scabs
Secrets and
Certainties

When I was a child --
They are words of retrospect
That breathe life
Into the dry bones of memories
Raising them from the dead
To dance with the present
And mingle their mysteries
With time and space
Intersecting the then
And the now
In a moment that
Was and is
And then is gone
Again

When I was a child --
They are words of nostalgia
And regret
Invoking
Commendations and condemnations,
Favor and failure,
Solace and suffering,
Bringing to light
The hidden and the holy
From the recesses
Of darkness -
Forgotten places and
Times
Occasions of joy and
Sorrow
Frivolity and
Fear
Revived into
Bespoken animation -
Sojourns into the known
Unknown

When I was a child -
The past tense
Present
Looking back
And over
And past
And through
And then
Returning
From there
To here
From then
To now
From what was
Or might have been
To what is
And never will be

When I was a child
I was
A
Child
That was then
This is now
Then I wished for now
Now I wish for then.

Charlene M. Rachuy Cox
May 7, 2017










No comments:

Post a Comment