Monday, November 27, 2017

Psalm 139 - You are Fearfully and Wonderfully Made: A Meditation


Psalm 139:1-6
O Lord, you have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
  you discern my thoughts from far away.
You search out my path and my lying down,
  and are acquainted with all my ways.
Even before a word is on my tongue,
  O Lord, you know it completely.
You hem me in, behind and before,
  and lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
  it is so high that I cannot attain it.

What does it mean to say,
“God knows me?”
Does that thought fill you with comfort
Or dread?
Does it encourage you
Or does it make you want to hide?

If I say that God knows me,
Then God knows everything about me -
The good and the bad-
The things that make me proud,
And the things that make me ashamed.
My hopes and my fears.
My successes and my failures.
My stories -
And my secrets.
GOD knows me -
God KNOWS me -
God knows ME -

Yes indeed, God does -
And in that there is nothing to fear
Because God knows me
And God loves me.
In the love of God
There is nothing to lose,
And everything to gain

God has searched me and known me -
I believe this to be true
I believe this is good news
And so,
As I face the coming days
I will trust
The God who knows me
To see me through,
To be with me,
To give me the strength and the courage
That I need.

Thank you,
God.

Psalm 139:7-12
Where can I go from your spirit?
  Or where can I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there;
  if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.
If I take the wings of the morning
  and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
  and your right hand shall hold me fast.
If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me,
  and the light around me become night’,
even the darkness is not dark to you;
  the night is as bright as the day,
  for darkness is as light to you.

How often do I
Not even think about
The presence of God?

So often,
God is simply not on my mind-
It’s not that I am malicious
Or mean-spirited,
Or antagonistic toward God -
It’s just that
Life is so full
There is so little time.
I study and
I work
And I try to find time for myself -
I try to get everything done
That needs to be done,
And I forget about
Even thinking about
God.
But God is everywhere -
In all things
All people
All places
And even when I forget God -
God does not forget me.

And so I am humbled,
And grateful,
And astonished at God’s
Commitment to me,

Thank you,
God.

Psalm 139:13-18
For it was you who formed my inward parts;
  you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
  Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well.
  My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
  intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes beheld my unformed substance.
In your book were written
  all the days that were formed for me,
  when none of them as yet existed.
How weighty to me are your thoughts, O God!
  How vast is the sum of them!
I try to count them—they are more than the sand;
  I come to the end—I am still with you.

Am I
Who I am supposed to be?
I often wonder that -
Am I “okay?”
Is it “okay”
To be me?
Am I doing the right things?
Am I making the right decisions?

I’m sometimes
Not like my friends
Or my family members.
I sometimes disagree
With what others
Say
Or think
Or believe -

I’m sometimes unsure
Of my own convictions -
Or if I will ever
Be certain
About anything

But God says
I am fearfully
And
Wonderfully
Made.

Fearful.
Wonderful.
I will trust
That it is so.
I pray that God will help me
To embrace
The “me” that God has made,
The “me”
That I am working to become.

I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

Thank you,
God.

Psalm 139:19-24
O that you would kill the wicked, O God,
  and that the bloodthirsty would depart from me—
those who speak of you maliciously,
  and lift themselves up against you for evil!
Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord?
  And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
I hate them with perfect hatred;
  I count them my enemies.
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
  test me and know my thoughts.
See if there is any wicked way in me,
  and lead me in the way everlasting.

What do I do with
The hurts I have experienced -
The pain that others have caused me?
How do I live anew
When others have wronged me,
Sinned against me?
How do I move on -
Not be held hostage
By hurt or sorrow,
Remorse or sadness?

I want to be free
Of anger
And regret
And feelings
Of disappointment
And guilt
And shame

I trust that God will lead me -
Lead me to places
Of healing and wholeness -
That God will fill me up
When I am empty,
That God will restore me
When I am broken,
That God will lift me up
When I am weighed down.

I am not left
To do it all alone,
To make my way
Each day -
Or through my whole life -
By myself.

God will lead me
In the way everlasting.

Yes -
Yes, it will be so,
Yes,
It
IS
So!

Yes -
I am known -
I am not abandoned -
I am fearfully and wonderfully made -
I am led -

Thank you,
God
AMEN.

(Brief silence)

The light shines in the darkness,


And the darkness has not overcome it.

No comments:

Post a Comment