Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A First World Reality

Today I am packing down - or giving away - all of the clothes that I will not be wearing for the next six months. There is much more to pack down than I would have imagined. Shorts I forgot I had. T-shirts I haven't worn for at least two years. Capris that I bought about this time a year ago, packed away for winter, and then, well, left packed away. Sweaters that I keep hanging on to year after year, because "next year I might want to wear them."

Before I decided to embark on my "30 Pieces of Clothing for Six Months" adventure, I had no idea how many items of clothing I really owned. I had no idea what really hangs in my closet or is stashed in the back or bottom of a dresser drawer.  It's humbling. Sobering. Definitely a first world reality.

I have also been surprised at how difficult it has been to choose 30 pieces of clothing. Six months will potentially cover all the seasonal changes in Indiana -- very hot weather to extremely cold. August 15 - February 15. Several times I have added and subtracted items. Just yesterday I found a pair of yoga pants that I forgot I had. Though I haven't worn them for six months, I decided "I really want them." But what would I take out?  A first world reality indeed.

I've also been asked some interesting questions as I am preparing for this adventure:

What happens if an item that is in my "30 pieces of clothing" gets torn, stained, or just plain wears out? Will I replace it?  At this point, my answer is "no." We'll see if I can stick to that when that day comes.

What about scarves? Do they count in the 30? I think they would, and though I have several scarves, I've never really worn them, so no scarves in this project.

What about borrowing?  Can I borrow to give variety and add to the 30?   Again, the answer is "no" -- on the "adding to," that is.  I do have one item in my 30 pieces of clothing that is not mine - a long-sleeved black turtle neck that belongs to my housemate. She is letting me borrow it, as long as she can borrow it back!

Why am I doing this? Lot's of reasons, reallly. Most importantly is that it seems like a good time in my life for reflection and a conisderation of what it means to be a part of the "haves" of this world. It's a spiritual exercise, a pilgrimage of sorts. It's an immersion in the difference between what is necessary and what would be nice.

So, here's my list:  30 pieces of clothing for 6 months:

1 pair of black dress pants
1 pair of black jeans
2 pair of blue jeans (one light wash, one dark wash)
1 pair of black shorts
1 pair of black capris
I pair of khaki colored, denim shorts
1 pair of excercise shorts
1 pair of yoga capris
1 black dress clergy shirt
1 black cotton clergy shirt
2 sleevless turtlenecks (one green, one black)
1 long-sleeved black turtleneck
1 white t-shirt
1 white sleeveless "scoop neck" shirt - more dressy than a t-shirt
1 white sweatshirt
1 gray sweater
1 off-white and blue striped sweater
1 hooded Sweatshirt
2 long-sleeved t-hirts
2 logo t-shirts
1 dressy black jacket
1 zip-up black sweater
1 wool, "salt and pepper" jacket
1 casual black jacket
1 jean jacket
1 light-weight black over shirt

That's it! I imagine I will be longing for some color come February, but that's all right. By that time, spring will be just around the corner.

Oh, and here's what I chose for shoes:

1 pair of sandals
1 pair of black pumps
1 pair of tennis shoes
1 pair of boots (practical, not dress)

And for coats/jackets:
1 light-weight jacket
1 ski jacket

Wish me luck.  Pray for me. I will blog regularly to let you know how it's going.

Today, my thoughts are rather simple. I'm grateful that I will have 30 pieces of clothing. Millions are not so lucky. So what do I do with this first world reality?  Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment