Friday, August 15, 2014

Day 1

Khaki colored denim shorts
Black cotton clergy shirt
Jean jacket
Sandals

That's what I decided to wear on day one of "30 pieces of clothing for six months."

I found myself oddly excited as I woke up this morning. I've been thinking of this for several weeks now, and today I get to start this journey. Because it's a beautiful, sunny day in Northwest Indiana, I actually had more choices than I thought I might on this day. It was cool enough to wear a jacket this morning. That gave me choices I wasn't necessarily anticipating.  I was going to work, but it was going to be mostly an office day: no occasions where I had to be "in uniform," so I could wear my clergy shirt without its collar. It looks pretty much like any normal, sleeveless black t-shirt that way. And the sandals - well, I haven't worn socks for months, so they were an obvious choice.

As I got dressed this morning, I found myself all of a sudden thinking of the people of Iraq, especially those who have fled to the mountains with nothing but the clothes on their backs, seeking refuge. Seeking safety. Without planning to, my "getting dressed time" turned into a time of prayer for all of the displaced people of the world, all whose choices have been stripped away.

It seemed like a fitting way to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment